Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Healthier Bubble and Squeak

I am in the fortunate position whereby various companies in the UK and further afield, from time to time ask me to evaluate their products

Just before Christmas I was approached by Able and Cole, who operate an organic fruit and veggie box system, whereby they deliver the box's to your doorstep. I used to use Able and Cole, but cancelled my order some time ago

I jumped at the chance to have the free organic box. Lovely fruits and veggies, they were lovely. I have had another organic box since the free one and expect to receive one every other week

So what did I make with my free organic box ...



Bubble and Squeak is a traditional English recipe for using up left-over veggies, usually potatoes mashed with butter and milk and green vegetables, but can include just about anything else, all fried in lard. A cholesterol nightmare! So I wondered, as I do, if I could throw together a bubble and squeak that is a bit more healthy ...

2 - 3 carrots, chopped into chunks
1 lb potatoes, peeled
1 head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
2 -3 small white onions
Knob of butter
1 tbsp olive oil

Add the carrots and potatoes to a large pan of water, bring to the boil, simmer for ten minutes or until the potatoes are approaching being cooked through
Add the broccoli to the potatoes and carrots, simmer for a further five minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through
Strain the vegetables, tip into a large bowl, fork through to break the potatoes up and combine the vegetables
In a large skillet of frying pan, add the butter and olive oil, fry the onions until they have a good brown singed colour
Add the vegetable mix and fry, turning occasionally, this will allow a light crust to develop on the veggies

Divide between two plates and serve with your favaourite gluten free dipping sauce :)